Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Vegan Gluten Free Lemon Blueberry Scones


VG, GF, Grain free

This afternoon I needed something nice and simple for afternoon tea so I thought I'd research some scone recipes. I've made scones using pumpkin or sweet potato before but today I felt like something sweet. This vegan GF lemon blueberry recipe hit the spot.

Ingredients:

2C almond meal
1C coconut flour
2 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
1 tsp mixed spice
1 teabag of herbal tea (the original recipe suggests chamomile, I used ginger and lemon)
1 heaped Tbsp coconut oil (solid, not melted)
1/2C brown sugar
zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
1 1/3C unsweetened milk of your choice (we used almond)
3/4C frozen blueberries

Preheat oven to 205 degrees C or 400 degrees F. Line a baking tray with baking paper.

In a food processor combine almond meal, coconut flour, baking powder, salt, mixed spice and tea. Whiz a few times until combined. Add the coconut oil and pulse until it has a crumbly texture.

In a separate bowl mix brown sugar, lemon zest and lemon juice then add to the flour mix. Combine well.

Add the milk and pulse until a dough comes together.  Carefully fold in the blueberries. Form into whatever shape you like and place on the tray. Bake for 19 - 22 minutes (mine took 22).

Here's a photo of the dough before it's cooked. I always find it useful to see the before photos of GF baking because sometimes it's difficult to believe that it really does work into a manageable dough. Here's the proof:


These are nice and crispy on the top and soft in the centre. The coconut flour does have quite a strong taste and if I make these again I'd consider substituting it for 1/2 C coconut flour and 1/2 C brown rice flour or tapioca starch. As usual with GF baking they're quite crumbly to eat - but yummy. Enjoy.


The original recipe came from www.thekitchn.com and I have made some changes which are reflected in the ingredients list above.

No comments:

Post a Comment