Saturday, February 1, 2014

Gluten Free Vegan Brownies



GF, VG, NF (optional)

The other day I was tempted by a gluten free brownie recipe that popped up on my Facebook newsfeed. It was for peppermint chocolate brownies and since my husband loves a mint and chocolate combo I thought I'd give it a try. Until I looked at the recipe that is. It had no less that three mini recipes in one, and each one required a long list of ingredients. I have a pretty good set up of raw ingredients here including the weird ones like xanthem gum and buckwheat flour but I would still need to spend around $50 to make that brownie. Isn't that ridiculous?

This brownie recipe is so simple, everything is made in a food processor and it has simple ingredients. It's even pretty healthy due to it's secret ingredient... black beans. I know - a bit strange, but if you think about it - they're neutral in taste and they give you that moist binding action that you're missing without eggs and gluten.

Here we go!

Ingredients

1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
2 flax seed eggs (2.5 Tbsp flaxseed meal and 6 Tbsp water)
3 Tbsp coconut oil or other neutral oil like canola if you can't use coconut
3/4 C cocoa powder - use raw cacao if you can, the higher the quality the better
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 C sugar - I used raw
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
Nuts (optional) - I used pecans



Method

Preheat an oven to 175 degrees C or 350 degrees F. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin (not mini muffins, the standard size).

In a food processor add the flaxseed meal and the water and leave to sit for a few minutes to gel. You can use either whole flaxseeds and grind them or you can use ready ground meal.

Add the other ingredients except for the nuts and blend until smooth. Check the consistency and add more water if you need to - it should be thick, but not dry.

Spoon the mixture into the muffin tin and sprinkle with nuts. Cook for 20 minutes, the brownies should be pulling away from the sides of the pans. They will still be fudgey in the centre, which is just how I like them!

Enjoy!

Thanks to Minimalist Baker for the recipe, it's a great site by the way - vegan gluten free recipes without the long list of ingredients!

No comments:

Post a Comment